Key Benefits of VTP Version 3
Much work has gone into improving the usability of VTP version 3 in three major areas:
• The new version of VTP offers better administrative control over which device is allowed to update other devices' view of the VLAN topology. The chance of unintended and disruptive changes is significantly reduced, and availability is increased. The reduced risk of unintended changes will ease the change process and help speed deployment.
• Functionality for the VLAN environment has been significantly expanded. Two enhancements are most beneficial for today's networks:
– In addition to supporting the earlier ISL VLAN range from 1 to 1001, the new version supports the whole IEEE 802.1Q VLAN range up to 4095.
– In addition to supporting the concept of normal VLANs, VTP version 3 can transfer information regarding Private VLAN (PVLAN) structures.
• The third area of major improvement is support for databases other than VLAN (for example, MST).